Go Travel Pros
Movies about travel or filmed in beautiful locations can be great inspiration for your next vacation. Here is a list of some of my favorite travel inspired films.
1. In Bruges: Bruges, Belgium. A comedy, string Colin Farrell, about hit-men sent to Bruges, Belgium to wait for orders. Bruges is practically a character in this film which showcases the beauty and history of the medieval European city.
2. Under the Tuscan Sun: Tuscany, Italy. A romantic film, staring Diane Lane, about a woman who moves to an Italian Villa on a whim in search of a new life. Honestly, I do not remember much of this film other than the setting; it is the movie that made me want to go to Tuscany and maybe one day buy a villa to fix up.
3. Indiana Jones Series: Various locations. Indiana took us to several ancient cities and taught us the importance of history (and adventure). Including: Petra, India, and Egypt.
4. A Good Year: Provence, France. About a workaholic that inherits a vineyard in Provence from his uncle, staring Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard, where he spent much of his childhood. Crowe’s character discovers the attraction of a laid back lifestyle and love of a pretty French girl. The story is sweet but the scenery is where it is at and will have you booking your next trip to a vineyard in France.
5. Roman Holiday: Rome, Italy. Staring Audrey Hepburn this film is about a sheltered princess secretly exploring Rome with an American newsman. A fantastic classic film that lets you explore Rome alongside the princess. You’ll be on you way to Rome to see it in glorious color in no time!
6. Midnight in Paris: Paris, France. A comedy by Woody Allen, finds Gil (Owen Wilson) walking the streets of Paris every night and somehow being transported to the 1920s and meeting several great artists from then and there. The film gives you a piece of Paris from modern times and history. Who is ready to walk through the Parisian neighborhoods…at any time of day?
7. Vicky Christina Barcelona: Barcelona, Spain. Another Woody Allen film, starring Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem, this one about two girlfriends on vacation in Spain who become entangled with a Spanish painter and follow him to Barcelona, where chaos ensues. The film shows off Barcelona at her best: from the wine, to the music, and to the art.
8. The Beach: Thailand. This Leonardo DiCaprio film is based in Thailand where his character follows a mysterious map to a private beautiful beach. This is another film where the location is the best part, filmed all over Thialand, including Phuket, Bangkok, and Phi Phi Leh Island (where the Beach located). Having actually been to these locations I can tell you they do match the film in beauty and are worth a visit.
9. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: Jaipur, India. This film, staring Dev Patel, Dame Maggie Smith, and Dame Judi Dench (to name a few), is about British retirees moving to a new slightly less luxurious than expected hotel in India. This film really showcases the Indian culture (and their differences from British culture) and the beauty of everyday living in Jaipur.
10. The Descendants: Hawaii. This film, starring George Clooney, is about a land baron who is trying to reconnect with his daughters after his wife suffers a severe accident. The story is heartfelt but it is the scenery that you will remember, being filmed in Hanalei, Honolulu, and Kauai, and will have you packing your bags.
Other great travel inspired movies are:
Share the knowledge